Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

What is a Fabulist?


Fabulist

Once I met a fabulist
A man who was a fabulous
Teller of fables and fantasy
Creatures, fairies, kings and queens
Were only some of the things
That this story teller said to me

Although some of what he shared
Was curiously strange and weird
It seemed there was a point to all his tales
Like the one he shared with me
About an elephant at sea
Who completely believed he was a whale!

The fabulist he told me that
The elephant thought that his fat
Would keep him warm when swimming in the deep
And that the ears upon his head
Were not ears but fins instead
And that they’d keep him floating in his sleep

Alas the pachyderm did drown
For when he slept the silly clown
Sunk quickly down to the ocean floor
Where he was eaten for tea
By the creatures of the sea
Things with fins and teeth as sharp as claws…

The moral of this silly tale
About the elephantine whale
Was of course that no one should pretend
To ever be something they’re not
But be happy with their lot
Or else they might come to an ugly end…

Anyway later that day
As I went along my way
I met a man quite good at telling lies
He told me if I gave him cash
He could make a bigger stash
Investing it into elephant pies

And although not that fabulous
He too was a fabulist
Which is a euphemistic thing to call
A person skilled at telling lies
Like the guy selling bad pies
One who doesn’t speak the truth at all!








(Click here for the definition of fabulist!)


Copyright 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment