Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

F Words

F

Fa

A happy nun went for a run
And as she ran the song she sung
Was along the lines of music scales,
And on the go she said that Do,
The first note of the scale you know,
Was in fact a deer that was female!

And "Re" the sun, said this fun nun,
And "Mi" herself ,the nun did pun
Until she reached the note they say is Fa...
Enthusiastic she did shout
What this word was all about
Relating it to running very far!

When suddenly for all to see
A soldier fresh from the army
Stopped her in her tracks and said, "Now see!
FA means something else instead!
For in the army it is read
F for Field, A - Artillery!"

"Oh dear," said the nun for she
Had no idea that it could be
Used that way but not to be undone
She went upon her nunly way
And singing she began to say
That Fa was still a long long way to run!

When fresh from running his home run
A baseball player stopped the nun
And said while eating an appealing sandwich,
"You've got it wrong m'am for you see
FA in baseball only
Stands for Fielding followed by Average!"

"Hm..." she grumbled in mid run
But not to be undone or stunned
The nun went on face blushing in her wimple,
She sang her heart out to the clouds
Clearly, loudly, nunly proud!
Fa was Far as surely as her dimples!

Until the nun upon her run
Got tangled in a football scrum
The players citing loudly their translation,
They would risk facing damnation
To say that FA's denotation
Was F for football, A - Association!

After which the fiery nun
Said this was no longer fun
And cursed despite her virtuous career
And chose to binge on sticky buns
Which made all of the other nun's
Wonder what to do about Maria.


Fab


May it now be understood
One way to say something is good
Is to say of that thing that it's fab!


As in "My new tooth brush is fab,
It's the best one I've ever had!
It's the complete opposite of being bad!"


Fabergé

Way back in the olden days
Lived one Peter C. Fabergé
A goldsmith who made ornamental things

Especially he specialized
In golden eggs with gifts inside
To satisfy the likes of queens and kings.


Fabian

There was a man called Fabian
A clever homosapian
Probably because he ate his greens

And when he did he oft consumed
A myriad of long legumes
For his name meant "a grower of beans".


Fabricate


Allow me to pontificate
What it means to fabricate
To invent, concoct or to create,
To build something or to construct
A house, a boat, a big red truck
From lot’s of parts a great big thing to make.

However if I was to state
A lie, a tale untrue and fake
That would be also a fabrication
For example if I said,
“I am afraid that I am dead”
To get out of an awkward situation
what does fabricate mean? what is the meaning of fabricate? how do you fabricate? what is the definition of fabrication? other words for lying. poems about fabrication, fabrication in a sentence


Fabulist

Once I met a fabulist
A man who was a fabulous
Teller of fables and fantasy
Creatures, fairies, kings and queens
Were only some of the things
That this story teller said to me

Although some of what he shared
Was curiously strange and weird
It seemed there was a point to all his tales
Like the one he shared with me
About an elephant at sea
Who completely believed he was a whale!

The fabulist he told me that
The elephant thought that has fat
Would keep him warm when swimming in the deep
And that the ears upon his head
Were not ears but fins instead
And that they’d keep him floating in his sleep

Alas the pachyderm did drown
For when he slept the silly clown
Sunk quickly down to the ocean floor
Where he was eaten for tea
By the creatures of the sea
Things with fins and teeth as sharp as claws…

The moral of this silly tale
About the elephantine whale
Was of course that no one should pretend
To ever be something they’re not
But be happy with their lot
Or else they might come to an ugly end…

Anyway later that day
As I went along my way
I met a man quite good at telling lies
He told me if I gave him cash
He could make a bigger stash
Investing it into elephant pies

And although not that fabulous
He too was a fabulist
Which is a euphemistic thing to call
A person skilled at telling lies
Like the guy selling bad pies
One who doesn’t speak the truth at all!


Falconine

The lady who lives next to me
Has a nose that is scary
Whenever I see her I go quite mental!
All because the way her nose
Is kind of like a nose that goes
In the same direction as a kestrel!

In fact it has often occured
To me maybe she is part bird
By the way her nose looks like a hawk's!
Whenever I see her face
I seem to throw away all grace
And can not help but have a good long gawk!

Poor old Mrs P. Malcolm
Has a nose like a falcon's
I wonder if she's noticed me today?
For deep down I know that I'm
Scared that this old falconine
Lady might decide I am her prey!


Faux Pas

I once committed a Faux Pas
Whilst on a flight to Zanzibar
A rather shameful act and social blunder

I thought no one was watching me
And picked my nose for all to see
And found out after flicking it asunder!



I caught a little rabbit so
I could try and have a go
At felling him so I could have his fur,
But he looked at me with wide
Eyes that seemed to pierce inside
And said to me, "Please don't skin me sir!"

Then he did describe to me
The ins and outs of what would be
If I stripped the fur from off his flesh,
It left me with a stomach ache
And so I for my own sake
Decided letting him go would be best.

He said to me, "Why anyway
Would you try fell me today?"
I said I needed some way to keep warm,
But admittedly I'd need much more
Than the fur this rabbit wore
To keep me warm in the coming snow storm.

Then the little rabbit said,
"Why not fell a tree instead?
Then we could chop it for fire wood!
If you ask me killing a tree
Would be nicer than killing me
Don't you think a fire would be good?"

Fell a tree? Cut it down?
"By Jove!" I said, "I've been a clown!
Now if only I could find a saw…
But what happened next took me
Quite by surprise because a tree
Punched me with a branch right in the jaw!

Naturally down I fell
Onto the ground with a shrill yell
Like a sack of human parts and spuds,
"Oi!" I said "Why hit me so?"
The tree declared, "Now don't you go
Felling me today or there'll be blood!"

This tree was fell in the cruel sense,
Very fierce he took offense
And told me I should stick with rabbit fur
That he'd help me catch the lot
Of critters that the woods had got
However the rabbit did not concur.

Finally I said to the
Fell and mean and deadly tree
"I think I've had a much better idea!"
Maybe the tree's fell cruelty
Had perhaps rubbed off on me
For my plan was quite nasty I fear...

To save the rabbit's fury skin
That he was quite comfy in
And to save the tree from burning down
I lead the trees and all the beasts
Into the nearest city's streets
And scared away the people of the town.

And there the trees live happily
With the rabbits and with me
Quite cozy now that everything there's mine,
And as for what was once our home
It's now a fell where nothing roams
A barren land without rabbits or pines!

Flatulence

If through some strange circumstance
You've never heard of flatulence
I'm here to tell you without sounding crass

That it is the thing that we
All do sometimes regrettably
When our rear down there lets out some gas.



Forbear

If perchance you ever hear
Me swear that I will now forbear
What I'm saying is “I will do without”
As in this sentence here:
“I decided to forbear
Wearing jeans for my lack of a belt.

But I’m afraid there’s more
And so we can’t ignore
That this word can turn into “forbore
Which really means the same
As forbear yet again
But in, “I forbore from entering the store.”

And so this tricky word
Is a rather useful verb
With synonyms like abjure or abstain
So if you find that ever
You want to sound quite clever
Use forbear to substitute “refrain”


Fordo

Let me now explain to you
The meaning of the word fordo
A word that not so much these days is said
Hailing from the olden days
It means destroy or do away
As in “I shall fordo that rusty shed!”

In modern times the word has changed
Letters have been rearranged
To express when one is overcome
By fatigue or exhaustion
As in when you’ve been for a swim
You might well say, “Alas I am fordone!”



Futurity

If something has not happened yet
But will one day then I suspect
It has the aspect of futurity,

Something that will happen when
The future comes and only then
Like when I’ve come to reach maturity!




Words that begin with...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

No comments:

Post a Comment