Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

What is the Meaning of Antic?


Antic

Sometimes just to draw a crowd
I might act playfully and loud
Acting like a joker doing tricks
You could say I’m the type of bloke
Who likes to play practical jokes
With my wild and humorous antics

Like the night I dressed up in
A suit that looked quite alien
And hid behind some bushes in the park
And when young couples walked on by
I swear I made some of them cry
When I jumped out and said “Boo!” in the dark!

Or that other time last May
When in the middle of the day
Publicly I vanished in thin air
I’m sure I caused people to stop
And gasp a bit when I went POP
And just like that suddenly disappeared!

You see I’d built a small device
Sleek to look it, cheap in price
That landed me in 1529
Where I did decide to stay
Long enough to watch a play
Figuring I had plenty of time…

And in the play was a buffoon
An actor acting quite the loon
Getting up to lots of naughty tricks
It didn’t take me long to learn,
For by his actions I discerned,
That he was one of the first Antics!

Then with my little time machine
I thought that I would try to glean
From my travels more about this word
Discovering in Italy
That this word did probably
Come from “Antico” which seemed absurd

For “Antico” in Italian
Is a thing or a person
Who is old or ancient so to speak
And comes down from the Latin word
“Antiquus”, or so I’ve heard,
Which is the ancient way of saying “antique”.

None of which made sense to me
It seemed to me that history
Was itself quite fond of playing tricks
For how could “antiquus” become
A word to use when having fun
When antiques have nothing to do with antics?

So I went to England where
I met a fellow who lived there
Oscar of the Nineteenth Century
Who knew a little more than I
About our mother tongue so I
Asked him, “Please explain this mystery!”

But alas I came home more
Bewildered than I was before
Because quickly between us it was found
It also was an adjective
A word to use when trying to give
Something the qualities of being a clown!

But will I give up? No I’ll not!
I don’t think I will ever stop
Acting like an antic actor who
Makes life just that bit more fun
By making people shriek and run
When I jump out from a bush crying “Boo!”

(Click here for the definition of antic!)


Copyright 2014












Click HERE to search The Vocabuverse by Letter


P.S. Don't Forget to Share! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment