Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What is the Meaning of Love



Love

I walked into the kitchen where
A cake awaited me in there
Freshly baked and dripping chocolate,
It was love at the first bite
I could not say I only liked
It, no indeed I loved it every bit!

That's not to say That I felt strong
Affection like what does belong
To the love a mother feels for her
Children or perhaps brother,
Sister or maybe Father
No the love I felt was of another...

Kind of love, an attraction
Though not the kind of affection
Based on any sexuality!
Let me make it very clear
That kind of love was no where near
The kitchen or found anywhere in me!

Nevertheless less I loved it so
And gave another piece a go
Making noises of such adulation
"Mm mm" I said, that kind of thing,
I loved it so much I could sing
About the baker in warm admiration!

I made a mental note that I
Must find out who made it so I
Could give to them my expression of love,
An assurance of the kind
I would eat any cake I find
If from them before me it was shoved!

And as I thought these tingly thoughts
My warm attachment quickly brought
Another piece to me in one smooth motion,
My grand enthusiasm,
I share without sarcasm,
Was a love that equalled strong devotion!

This cake,oh my, this mighty cake
Was so nice I could not fake
That I had not become hooked and attached,
It was now the object that
Defined all cakes, the grand format
That all cakes from now on must indeed match!

It was about then that my
Love called me up and said hi
My darling wife who'd gone out for the day
She said, "Hi Love." I said, "Hi Dear."
Then she said, "Do not go near
The cake I made for my mother's birthday!"

I gulped and said, "Of course not love"
Then hung up saying, "heavens above!"
I'd failed at the other noble love,
The kind that is selfless and true
That puts another before you
And some say comes from the good Lord above!

Or at the very least the kind
Of brotherly concern for thine
Fellow man or in my special case
The kind of sacrificial thought
That a loving husband aught
To have thus putting his wife in first place!

It was then that I became
A man of faith and loved again
The God whom I hoped would help to save me
From the wrath of my sweet wife
Who vowed to love me for my life
Which was sure to end soon and quickly!

But alas the score was "love"
(As in tennis) for from above
A Father's admonition came to me
And said, "What kind of love would I
Be showing you if from the sky
I let you off the hook so easily?"

So because I loved my wife
(Or perhaps I loved my life)
I baked and baked and baked and baked and baked...
Until I could replace the thing
And by the end of it could bring
Myself to admitting that I hate cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment