Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

H Words

H


Ha


I found a box outside my door,
A box that was not there before,
And opened it to see what was therein.
"Ha!" I said loud to express
Surprise and pleasure too I guess
For in the box were socks I had forgotten!

You know the socks that often go
To who knows where and no one knows
Exactly where but here is where they're not?
However in this special case
Someone from that other place
Had given back the socks I had forgot!

And so surprised and filled with glee
To have my lost socks back with me
I cried "Ha!" And also "Haha!" too.
Because I had to laugh at the
Fact the socks sent back to me
We're the partners of more than a few

Socks I had just thrown away
Thinking I'd not see the day
Their missing partners would ever return,
So I laughed "Haha!" And wrote
On the box a little note
That said these socks were destined to be burned.

But you know a mystery
Occurred when that box sent to me
Suddenly just faded in thin air,
"Ha!" I cried in stark surprise
When right before my face's eyes
The box that once was there was now no where!

The thing that I had failed to see
Was that the box was actually
A craft in which the socks were flying about,
Traveling to distant lands
And distant shores with distant sands
And planetary bodies I've no doubt.

But there is a place where they
Fly the size of H and A
That is a whole hectare in metric terms,
A whole hectare of land where a
Sock can rest the day away
And never mind the thought of footy germs!

So should you ever find a box
Full of all your missing socks
Be sure to give them a reason to stay,
For should they find when they touch down
That their partners can't be found
They might go back to their hectare to play....

Habeas corpus


Allow me now please to explain
That if a prisoner is detained
It must be ascertained before the court

Whether his detentions fair
And whether he should remain there
And so before a judge the suspects brought

So Liberty is not abused
We call the writ then that is used
Habeas corpus terming the concept

The process that ensures
A persons rights are not ignored
And that one can not be unfairly kept!
what does habeas corpus mean? habeas corpus in a sentence, what is the definition of habeas corpus, poems about habeas corpus


Haberdashery


Within the Haberdashery
You will find apparently
It is a place where sewing stuff is sold
Dressmaking materials
Buttons, cotton on reels
And all that sort of stuff or so I'm told

And within that kind of store
It is not easy to ignore
That the haberdasher is the chap
Who sells that kind of stuff you see
But also it’s occurred to me
That some also sell men’s clothes, gloves and caps.


Halcyonine

There is a bird halcyonine,
That is also dacelonine,
The Kingfisher, a colourful wee bird,

And although named for catching fish
Not all of them enjoy that dish
But can hunt lots of things or so I've heard!


Haydn

It isn't often that I tell
A tale that is true but now
Let me share a story close to home
About a little girl whose name
Is for boys but just the same
We gave it to her for her very own...

I guess we liked the sound of it
It felt right and it seemed to fit
And named her so before she was born
And as she in her mother grew
We did what most young parents do
And prayed for her every night and morn:

"Dear God bless our little Gedge
Put around her a safe hedge
Of protection, this is what we pray"
Without any small inkling
Of the name's actual meaning
Whatsoever or in any way...

But when we finally took a look
In a little naming book
There it was the name of our small Gedge,
Incredibly our prayers had guessed
The meaning of her name addressed
A valley that was guarded by a Hedge!


Heed


Once your mother might have said,
“Wear a beanie on your head!”
But perhaps you failed to take heed?

That is to say you failed to
Regard what she had said to you
And so you got that cold you did not need! what does heed mean? what is the meaning of the word heed? what is the definition of heed? heed in a sentence, poems about the word heed


He

I was still just five years old
When I came home from school and told
My mum that I had some homework to do,
I took out my red exercise
Book and I could see her eyes
Widen twice in size as her eyes do,

When I know that she has seen
A science thing, she quickly gleams,
And on this day that was the way that she
Looked at me so keen and ping
Suddenly my mum did sing
When in my book she saw an H and e!

"Son that stands for Helium!"
I looked at her and just said, "Um..."
But she just went on and on and on...
"It's the atomic element
That has without argument
In it only two things called protons!"

"Yawn" I said, she did not hear.
She said, "And..." (I did not care)
"I think you'll find it is quite colorless...
In fact its usual state is gas..."
(I giggled thinking something crass)
"It's tasteless and indeed quite odorless..."

"It's also true that Helium
Is not as light as Hydrogen
Making it the second lightest gas,
And scientists are adamant
That this abundant element
Makes up for a quarter of all mass!"

And with some exasperation,
With just a hint of vexation,
I stopped her there and said rather loudly,
"Mum this homework is so I
Can learn to read and this week I
Need to read the pronoun known as HE!"

And with that I marched off to
My room in which I quickly threw
My books upon the floor and before soon,
I threw the evening fast away
For in my room for me to play
With was a red helium balloon!




Hermitage

One day when I tried my hand
At postal work I drove my van
Out to a place to drop off a small package,
I found myself out in the sticks
Outside a house though made of bricks
Was so small that it wasn’t quite a cottage.

A hermitage, it was the home,
Of a man who lived alone
The dwelling of an antisocial hermit,
I tried to get a look within
As I dropped his mail in
But that was something that he would not permit.

He said of his small hermitage
That it is was a privilege
To live away from folk in solitude,
But that was all he said that day
For then he said, “Now go away!”
And so I left him on his own to brood.


Herpestine

I sat down once upon a time
With a certain herpestine
Carnivore who would not share my mousse,

But fed rather upon the dead
Things upon his plate instead
Which was typical of a mongoose.


Hic Et Ubique

Here’s a useful Latin phrase
That isn't heard often these days
Which I came across in old Shakespeare

 “Hic et ubique” which was said
By Hamlet of his father dead
And means in English “here and everywhere”!



Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia


Hippopotomonstroses-
quippedaliophobia

Is a real word believe you me

And what is really quite absurd
Is that it means fear of long words
Which I think ironic and silly!


Histrionic

I knew a chap who quite a bit
Tended t'ward the dramatic
His behavior often rather chronic
His actions bore the intention
To attract him attention
Making him no less than histrionic!

It wasn't very practical,
His acting so theatrical,
And really got him no where in the end
For no one had the patience for
His melodrama anymore
Which is why I'm no longer his friend!


Hither

Rather a long time ago
More than a few centuries or so
If I wanted to convey "Come here!"
I would have spoke a different way
"Come hither, sir!" Is what I'd say
To make you come to me from over there

However this old English word
Wasn't only an adverb
But as an adjective it did denote
Something that was also near
As in "Goodness look at that deer
It's fallen hither this side of the mote!"



Homage

Something done or given to
Show respect or tribute to
Someone is an act we like to call

"Homage" as in when you bow
To the queen to show her how
Dutiful you are and how loyal.


Horror

One night I heard a bump and woke
To a voice which in me spoke
And said that something was inside my home!
Then a grating crash so loud
The voice inside me screamed, it yelled
That I was home defenseless and alone!

But so filled with dread was I
I stayed right where I was for I
Found myself pained with an intense fear,
Grappling with extreme dismay
My body decided to stay
In bed to ponder the unknown out there...

Horror was indeed the word
That described just how disturbed
I was by the strange noises I could hear:
A gasping and indeed breathing
A rasping and curdling wheezing
Growing louder as it climbed my stairs...

Then a silence in the night
So intense I thought my fright
Just might be a trick of midnight dreams?
Then suddenly my door swung wide
And looming in the hall outside
Was something that on earth I had not seen...

For hanging in the twilight hall
Was a creature grey and tall
With giant eyes from goodness knows from where!
An alien with cruel intent
Desires I could not invent
To capture me and prod me for my genes!

The creature had the quality
To inspire horror in me
And indeed repugnance and aversion,
For it telepathically
Made my frightened mind to see
That I would soon succumb to its perversion!

Oh and how I cried and tried
To get away but found that I'd
Become paralyzed from my eyes down,
And though I looked inside to find
Within my trembling heart and mind
There was no bravery there to be found!

It leaned it's body over me
So pale and frail and so ghostly
So I could see my horror in its eyes...
Along with my apprehension
That he would take me with him
And use me to abuse me in the skies!

And then the darkness like a net
Claimed me for its midnight pet
And carried me into a new nightmare,
Where only on occasion
My personal invasion
Was caught in glimpses by the blinks of fear...

And then upon my couch I woke
With pizza all around and coke
And my Telly buzzing statically
And surely although so slowly
The night before came back to me
I had been watching Horror on the telly...

Was it all a silly dream,
The creature I could swear I'd seen,
Or was it just a figment of my brain?
So horrific was the sight
I decided that my plight
Had to be a dream to keep me sane...

So up the stairs I went to bed
And as my pillow touched my head
I heard a bang, a crash from down the stairs!
Grappling with extreme dismay
My body decided to stay
In bed to ponder the unknown out there...



Hubris

Once there was a little elf
Who thought quite highly of himself
And walked about with puffed up haughtiness,
Filled with pride and confidence
And blinded by self importance
He really was the image of hubris.

So blinded by his own conceit
Was he that on wet concrete
He took a walk convinced he was immune
To simple things like chemistry
Or the law of gravity
And found himself neck deep and quite marooned!


Epi- / Hyper- / Sur- / Trans / Super- / Supra- (Prefixes)

EPI, HYPER, SUR and TRANS
Or even the word SUPER
Denote the idea of "Above"
Along with the word SUPRA.






No comments:

Post a Comment