Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

D Words

D


Dab

A gentle touch or simple stroke
A tiny prod, a little poke
Is all it takes to demonstrate a dab

That is of course unless you mean
The other dab which also means
Something quite different to a simple jab

And that’s a daub of paint, a glob
A little bit, a smear, a blob
Not a lot, but only just a tad!

what is the meaning of dab? what does it mean to dab? what is the difference between dab and daub? what is the definition of dab? dab in a sentence, poems 

Dabber

A dabber is a rounded pad
Something that's useful to have
When you have a sentence to impress

Dip a dabber in some ink
Whether it is blue or pink
Then splodge the dabber on your print to press.

Dabble


Once I found myself upon
The edge of quite a tranquil pond
Into which I dabbled both my feet
Only for a little bit
Giving them a little dip
Paddling them about was rather neat

Until the monster of the pool
Gave both of my feet a pull
And scared the frightened freckles off my face!
Especially when the slimy thing
Told me that if I would sing
He wouldn't eat me after saying grace…

Lucky so I thought was I
Thinking that I would not die
Today because I had been known to dabble
In singing for the local choir
So I sang with fervent fire
Until the creature hit me with a paddle

"That was really bad" he said
"But before I eat your head
Maybe you could do a little dance?"
At last I thought because I knew
I had dabbled in dancing too
That maybe now I had an even chance

So I hopped and bopped about
Until the pond man wretched and belched
"I hope for your sake that you're a good swimmer!"
I did not need to ask him why
Because his jaws were opened wide
getting ready to eat me for dinner!

But thankfully I'd dabbled in
Swimming too so I jumped in
The pond and splashed right to the other side
I'd like to say I made it but
I'm writing this inside his gut
While waiting to come out his other side!

Dabbler

I hate to say it but it's true
Sometimes I am a person who
Is a dabbler in the things I am pursuing
I engage in activities
But only superficially
While acting like I know what I am doing!

At least it's better than the kind
Of other dabbler in my mind
The one that dabbles about for its food
By that I mean the dabbling duck
Who feeds while dabbling in the muck
A practice that I'd just as soon elude!


Dabchick

I found one day a magic hat
Resting near a sleeping cat
And picked it up to do a little trick
I tapped it twice with my blue pen
Put my fingers in and then
Pulled out from it a startled little dabchick!

That's right a frightened little grebe
That is a certain type of breed
Of duck like bird that paddles on a pond
I wondered then how could I make
Such a magical mistake
When the cat now roused produced a ten inch wand

"I believe," he said to me
"One of these is what you need,
Now if I may I'll make it disappear?"
So I gave the cat the magic hat
The dabchick too and just like that
He made the bird to vanish in thin air

And though magicians never tell
I could tell and knew too well
Where the little dabchick ended up
By the poof of feathers that
Floated round about the cat
Followed by a burp and a hiccup!


Da capo

When I play the piano
And see it written da capo
Upon the manuscript that I am playing

I remember then
To play the tune again
"From the start" is what the words are saying.


Dacelonine / Halcyonine

There is a bird halcyonine,
That is also dacelonine,
The Kingfisher, a colourful wee bird,

And although named for catching fish
Not all of them enjoy that dish
But can hunt lots of things or so I've heard!


Dacha

I'd quite like to take my spouse
One day to a country house
To spend some time in comfort in a villa

But somewhere that is far away
Like Russia where I'll go and say,
"Take us to a dacha, good sir, will ya?"


Dacoit

When traversing Burma's hills
You do so at your peril
One may become a target to exploit

To a breed of bandits who
Are armed so they can steal from you
Known by the fancy word Dacoit


Dactylogram

One boring day not long ago
Whilst munching on some cookie dough
I heard a rattling tap upon my door
And when I opened it to see
Who it was visiting me
In shock I dropped my snack onto the floor!

For there standing in my doorway
Was not someone who'd come to play
But a rather grumpy looking cop
"Can I help you officer?"
I asked of the stern looking sir
Whilst brushing sticky crumbs from off my top.

He said to me, "Indeed you can
I've come for your dactylogram"
To which I slumped my shoulders deep and sighed
Darn, I thought, they've found me out
They know now what my game's about
I gulped and grimly let the cop inside.

"It's sleeping out the back" I said
"That's where I keep it chained and fed"
And showed him where I kept my pterodactyl
"I know he's an illegal pet
And that his kind is under threat
But he gives me more joy than a cat will!"

The cop just blinked and shook his head
"I think you've mistook what I said
All I want is your dactylogram!"
And pulling out a small ink pad
With some paper that he had
He said, "Your fingerprints please my good man!"

And after as he turned to go
While picking up my cookie dough
And thinking I had got away with it
The cop turned round and said to me
"Set the pterodactyl free"
And left me with a rather hefty ticket!


Dactylology

I tried to munch upon a bunch
Of sandwiches I had for lunch
When a stranger appeared suddenly
He did not speak but used his hands
Pointing so I’d understand
Making his intentions clear to me

I could tell quite quickly that
This chap thought I was much too fat
It wasn’t hard to work out his sign language
And so through dactylology
He told me that he would help me
To lose weight if I offered him a sandwich!


Dadaism

After World War One there came
A type of art that was quite strange
And ruffled up the feathers of convention
Mocking the traditional
Embracing the irrational
Seemed to be the point of this invention

And the name of all this strange
Art that seemed rather deranged
Was taken from a most unusual word
The French word for Hobby Horse
Dada” which seemed to enforce
The randomness of style so absurd!


Daemon

In Ancient Greek mythology
It happened periodically
That the gods oft called Olympians
Would find themselves a human mate
A girl with whom to procreate
The offspring of such union called a daemon
A personage like Heracles
Also known as Hercules
Who was half god and also was half man
What we called a demigod
The offspring of woman and god
Resulting in a rather super human

It's worthy here to also state
The Bible has another take
About a species called the Nephilim
When angels were with girls in love
And came down to them from above
Creating half angelic human children
Peculiar because it's said
When the Nephilim were dead
Their spirits could not go to hell or heaven
So the ghosts of them have stayed
To cause us grief and misbehave
Becoming what today we know as demons!



Daguerreotype

Here’s funny word to write
It goes like this “Daguerreotype
Which was a type of photographic picture

Processed on a metal plate
Named after the very late
19th Century Frenchman Louis Daguerre




Daniel

Daniel was a chap who who stood
His ground when other people would
Probably give up and no doubt flee,

His name was why he would not budge
For it meant "God is my judge"
Which helped him to keep his integrity!


Dansker


In Hamlet once I read a word,
A word that I had never heard,
And searched and searched until I found the answer

And now to you I can impart
That someone who is from Denmark
Is a Dane but also is a Dansker!


Daresay

daresay the word daresay
Is another way to say
That you agree, assume or just suppose,

So when you say that you daresay
It is therefore a thing to say
Instead of saying any one of those.



Defunct

I met a man who was defunct
Because the silly person jumped
From a branch and landed on his head

He didn’t say a lot to me
But that was probably likely
To the fact that he was very dead.



Dia- / Trans- (Prefixes)

The concept of "across" can be
Incorporated by
DIA as in "diadem"
Or TRANS as in transcribe.


Disparate


If you have some things that are
Quite different to each other
Like chewing gum, a chimp and a pink parrot

None of them are quite alike
All distinct in their own right
Incongruous, contrasting and disparate!
what does disparate mean? what is the meaning of disparate? what is the definition of disparate?

Drab (Parental Guidance Recommended)

There is a certain type of lass
Whose character is kind of crass
Because of all the men that she has had
She is the type whose attributes
Are the same as a prostitute’s
And constitutes a girl who is a drab!

However if I ever say
To you, “you look so drab today!”
I do not mean that you look dressed for whoring
The thing I am trying to convey
Is you look dull and common place
In colours gray or brown and simply boring!



Dys- / Para- (Prefixes)

If you want a clever way
To say a thing's abnormal
Then insert PARA at the start
As in "Paranormal".

Otherwise you could indeed
Put DYS in PARA's place
And change the face of "functional"
By having DYS emplaced.


Dyspeptic

I ate more than my mouth could chew
Now I'm dyspeptic and might spew
Because my tummy's twisted up inside
With indigestion forcing me
Upon my back so hopefully
What's inside me won't soon be outside!

So best to stay out of my way
I'm not in a good mood today
I have become a grump and more than septic,

You'll find me quite unbearable
Crotchety and terrible
With my temper testy and dyspeptic!


All definitions on this site are the intellectual property of Kerin Gedge and are not to be used or reproduced without the express permission of the author!


what is a drab? what is the meaning of drab? what is the definition of drab? drab in a sentence, poems about the word drab




Words that begin with...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

No comments:

Post a Comment