Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

S Words

S


Sabbatarian

A person whose conscience reserves
Saturday to be observed
As the Sabbath day of holy rest

Is a Sabbatarian
For whom all work and play is sin
When done upon the day the good Lord blessed!


Sabbatical


How nice it would be to receive
A time of paid extended leave
A nice long break from where I am employed
To do the things I want to do
And not the things I’m made to do
When I’m at work where nothing is enjoyed!

Apparently a lecturer
Can become a wanderer
And take something called a Sabbatical
That is a lot of time away
For weeks and months and many days
To do “research” and probably to travel

Slight investigation
Only proves the word’s relation
To the Sabbath day of calm respite
Except in this case here
A Sabbatical’s a year!
A year off after six of work sounds right!


Sabelline and Zibeline

I know a man who has a rare
Ability beyond compare
In that he has world inside his navel!
A habitat for sabelline
Creatures that is so designed
To be the perfect home if you're a sable.

How it came that zibeline
Creatures came to live there I'm
Afraid is not a story that I know
But I've noticed that his waist
Keeps growing as the living space
Inside him makes for population growth!



Salacious

Something that is arousing
Or sexually appealing
Or a person who is lecherous

Someone who fits the context
Of one lustful or oversexed
Fits the profile of one who's salacious!


Sarah

Sarah in the Hebrew tongue
Is a name that you'd give one
Upon whom you would like to impress

A certain type of quality
Reserved for one of royalty
A girl whose name quite simply means "Princess"



Scar

I had myself an accident
A most unpleasant incident
Which involved hot coffee and a car
I swerved so as to miss the kiss
Of a most reckless ibis
Resulting in a crash and now a scar!

A mark left on the once smooth skin
Of what had been my only chin
Through which I was harpooned by the bird's beak,
Along with three degrees of burns
That my face from coffee earned
Making me a site more than unique!

It left me so with lasting grief
From which I may not find relief
Scarred emotionally or so it's said,
When the paramedics came
One of them loudly exclaimed,
"This guy has a bird stuck through his head!"

I fear that now when in my car
I have in mind that I might scar
The next fowl thing that may try to kiss me,
Not because my lovely face
Met with such dire disgrace
But because it cost me my coffee!



Scar 

A mark left on the skin where a
Burn or wound has had its way
And hasn't healed completely they say
Is a scar but also true
A steep high cliff is something you
Also might refer to in that way...

And if you did climb up that scar
And fall the ground below might scar
You thus proving it's a verb as well
But I doubt that knowledge would
Do you any ounce of good
After falling off a cliff somehow...

Copyright 2015





Sedition

Once we had a naughty King
Who did a lot of silly things
And made a lot of people feel bad,
In fact he was such a bad chap
I could say quite simply that
He was the worst King that we’d ever had!

So I wrote to all the land
And spoke to every willing man
Telling all to rise up and take arms
Against the King of silly things
But when my words and my writings
Reached his ears he was rather alarmed…

And so he sent his soldiers out
To stop me for the King did shout
“This scallywag is guilty of sedition!”
And now it is true of my head
It now lives somewhere else instead
And on his wall makes quite a nice addition.

Which is ironic I would think
Were my brain not out of sync
With life I would consider it a laugh,
For in Latin “seditio”
Means separation don’t you know
And here I am so not quite cut in half!


Sempiternal

Every one has that one friend
Whose stories seem to never end
Everything he says is sempiternal,

He promises he won't take long
But then goes on and on and on
Without a break, forever and eternal!


Shane

I knew a man called Shane who would
Play his guitar like no one could
His fingers fast, tenacious and vivacious,

And yet he'd still give praise to me
Who couldn't play as well as he
Just like his name which meant that "God is gracious".


Shew

If you ever take a look
Inside an older English book
Here's a tip that is handy to know

If you come across a "shew"
A word that our ancestors used
Remember that it means the same as "show"



Stephen/Steven

I knew a man called Stephen who
Did not quite know what to do
Whenever a person misspelled his name
He'd grind his teeth and coldly say
"My name is spelled the "ph" way!"
Clearly it was driving him insane.

So he rather cleverly
Rose in might politically
Just so he he could rule the land and say,
"Steven with a 'V' will be
Hence forth spelled illegally!
Anyone who breaks this rule will pay!"

Which was quite an irony
For his name apparently
Meant the same as "crown" in Ancient Greek,
His actions seemed then to reflect
The nature of one who expects
To be a King who rules over the weak!

None of which is meant to say
That all Stephens are born that way
In fact there is another ancient tale
About the Christian Martyr who
Was the first of Christians to
Face a stoning death and not turn tail...

So whether your a Steven or
Even a Stephen know that your
Spelling doesn't change the fact your names
Both mean exactly the same thing
A crown that's worn by Queen or King
To wear upon their heads during their reigns.


Succumb

I found myself whilst dieting
With my stomach rioting
Tired of all the salads I had downed
And at this point to tell the truth
I had awakened my sweet tooth
Which was craving something chocolate brown!

My will was weak against the thought
That I yielded and bought
The biggest chocolate bar I could afford,
That is to say I did succumb
To my hungry rumbling tum
And fed myself the chocolate I adored!

Oh how I hate so to admit
I gave in and devoured it
Submitting myself to the yummy treat
The power it had over me
Made me buy more for my tea
In fact a truck load just for me to eat...

And so I ate and grew and grew
More than a man is meant to
Until I was larger than my abode
And so I was brought to my end
I did succumb to my death when
Suddenly my stomach did explode.

And as parts of me flew about
And my lights were going out
For a brief moment I was rather mad
At myself for being greedy,
Succumbing so to sweet candy,
If only I had stuck with the salad!


Sullied

When my kids eat vegemite
I make sure they're not wearing white
Or else their clothes are likely to get stained

Sullied with black finger prints
So much so I'll need to rinse
Them three times till only white remains!





Words that begin with...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

No comments:

Post a Comment