Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

E Words

E


Each

There once was a class full of girls and of boys
Who were told that they each had to pick up their toys
And that done they'd each get a peach
So they each quickly came up with a plan
Simple to implement and understand
And picked from the floor a toy each

And ever so quickly each cleaned up their mess
Each taking a toy till the job did progress
So each girl and boy earned a peach
And when they were done each one had a stone
That each of them kept and took off to their homes
And each of them planted their peach

But later that year when each peach tree appeared
Each of the peach trees did something quite weird
For when they grew fruit they each had
Toys on their branches where fruit should have been
Edible toys you could eat's what I mean
Though each tasting really quite bad!


Eager

On my birthday you'll find me
Up early eager to see
Where my presents are and how many,

That is to say I'm excited
More than just interested
To see what my loved ones have got for me!

Eagre

Near where the mighty river meets
The open hungry sea
Your eye might catch an eagre as it flows

A large wave driven by
The breathing currents of the tide
Against the flow upstream the eagre goes...

Now just to be pedantic
so you don't misunderstand it
It's not pronounced a thing like eager either

To say it properly
Then just forget it starts with "e"
And remember the word eagre rhymes with tiger!


Earnest

It would pay to learn this
That a person who is earnest
Has a serious and somber mental state
They’ll speak with intense gravity
Implore with grim sobriety
The import of the thing that is at stake

However I should point out that
If you have a lot of cats
Or say a boat that’s full of chimpanzees
You can say, “Gee look at that
Earnest heap of hungry cats”
Or, “Goodness that’s an earnest lot of monkeys!”

Of course it might just happen that
Someone not so fond of cats
Who however has a thing for apes
Might earnestly remind you that
It is an actual point of fact
That monkeys are quite different from apes!

And don’t suppose I have digressed
There’s one more point her to impress
In earnest one more thing I can exposit
And that thing that's left to see
An “earnest” is a guarantee
Exactly like when making a deposit

So when I bought that boat of Apes
And all those cats within their crates
A down payment was made to clinch the deal
I laid down “earnest money” that
Secured for me my chimps and cats
Proving my intent for them was real.what does earnest mean? the importance of being earnest, definition of earnest, earnest in a sentence, poems about being earnest


Eau de vie

I had a glass of eau-de-vie
Which is a type of French brandy
Upon a date one night with my fine wife,

Made from pears or raspberries
And their fermented properties
Which in English it means "water of life".


Ebullient

Ebullient is how I am
when my excitement can't be canned
Or kept inside the bottle of my heart
I'm nothing but exuberant
When I feel ebullient
So enthused it's simply off the chart!

For example Christmas day
When a present comes my way
I'm simply bubbling franticly with joy
By someone's affability
In giving such a gift to me
To share with me the thrill of a new toy!

What other things could make me sing
About the happiness they bring?
What else can fill me with ebullience?
Buttlerflys and birthday cakes
Kisses, cuddles and corn flakes
All have on me a happy influence

But if I had to pick a single
Thrill that never fails to tingle
Titillating all my senses sweet
The thing that is most relevant
To making me ebullient
Is doing nothing and resting my feet!


Eccentric

I once went walking through the wood
Thinking it would do some good
For me to spend some time in the fresh air
So enjoying it was I when
I met a rather frantic hen
Who stopped me short and shouted, "Who goes there?"

I think it's fair here to admit
This was a tad bit eccentric
A talking hen's a bit out of the norm
Eccentric and abnormal
And seemingly paranormal
It was the first one I had met since I was born!

"My name is Ned" to it I said
She asked me had I seen her egg
I asked her if perhaps she could describe it
She said, "It is elliptical,
An oval mind, not a circle,
In shape I guess you'd say it is eccentric…"

I wondered then how sane I was
That maybe all my mental cogs
Were spinning off their centers just a bit
Could it be inside my mind
My gears had become misaligned
And now turned on an axis eccentric?

"Well," I said, "That doesn't sound
Like anything today I've found,
But if I do how shall I let you know?"
And with that the little hen
Gave me her phone number then
Clucked to me, "Just ring and ask for Joe."

And although my tale is true
When I tell my story to
People they'll politely listen to it
But when I'm gone they secretly
Talk about and laugh at me
Saying I am the man who is eccentric

They all think me unusual
odd and slightly whimsical
Just because a chook once spoke to me
But ever since my forest walk
And that chicken who could talk
I'll never eat an egg again for tea!


Ecclesiastic / Ecclesiastical

I think it is a thing fantastic
That the word ecclesiastic
Refers to a clergyman or priest
One who is especially
Involved in Christianity
A leader in the church to say the least

And should you have the sudden urge
To find out about how to purge
Your sins then maybe you could start your search
Somewhere ecclesiastical
A word that's nice and practical
That's said of things relating to a church.



It is a thing I think quite grand
That all of us have eccrine glands
Even if they make us feel wet

They activate when we get hot
And cool us down more oft than not
By secreting what we call our sweat!


Elaphine

I went into the forest where
I hoped to catch myself a deer
A stag upon which I did hope to dine!

But no such luck occurred for me
For on my hunt I did not see
Any creature that was elaphine!


Elizabeth

There was a girl whose word was the
Kind that's true consistently
And when she made an oath she stuck to it,

Her yes was yes, her no was no;
Elizabeth her name and so
The meaning "oath of God" did seem to fit.


Emma

Emma might seem small although
When defined it undergoes
A transformation to encompass all

For the name's meant to inspire
The same meaning as "entire"
Or perhaps the word "universal"...


Enervate

There was a cat that every night
Howled and meowed with all its might
Outside my window keeping me awake,
It didn't take it all that long
To drive me mindless with its song
And cause in me an enervated state!

The sleepless nights it did employ
Dehydrated me joy
Lobotomising me of all my nerve,
I knew then what I had to do
I gathered every single shoe
I could and gave the cat what it deserved!


Ensample


Not so much in use today
But still read in the old King James
Is the middle English word "ensample"

Don't be puzzled by the "n"
Replace it with an "x" and then
You'll have a word that means the same - "example".



Eolian

Outside my house I found a spot,
Where tons of  leaves, a great big lot,
Had formed and I thought, "Wherefore came they here?"
I found out that the million
Leaves were all eolian
For it was the wind that put them there!

And then I found where once was sand
Was now a massive space so grand
The sand that once was there had disappeared
Leaving instead a gaping hole
An empty eolian bowl,
The wind blew there and so it had appeared!


Epi- / Post- (Prefixes)


To give a word the nuance of
Something "additional"
Simply add the word EPI
As in "epithelial".

Or if a thing is "after" then
Add POST or maybe EPI
As seen in the word "Postmodern"
Or "Epistemology".




Epileptiform

If someone were to suddenly
Convulse epileptically
You could say without inviting scorn

That the man's resemblance to
Having a "fit" likens him to
Something that is epileptiform.



Equine

There is a certain friend of mine
Whose face is long and quite equine
But I would never tell him that of course,

For it would be quite rude of me
To tell my friend that he sadly
Reminded me of no less than a horse!



Ergo

Here’s a piece of sound info
About the word we call “ergo
It is a word that simply means “therefore”

As in “I found a bunch of bones
Enormous, bigger than my home,
Ergo they must have been a dinosaur's”!





Words that begin with...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

No comments:

Post a Comment