Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

G Words

G

Ga

One day I brought my homework home
And found it quickly made me moan,
"What on earth is meant by G and A?"
To which my wise and learned mum
Said, "It stands for gallium."
"Gally what?" I asked in stark dismay.

She looked at me and cleared her throat
And then declared as if by rote
"A bluish white metallic element
Which is obtained especially
When refining ores you see
And is in some devices prevalent...

As the semiconductor..."
Oh I couldn't interrupt her,
"With the atomic number 31,
Also true of this metal
It is one post-transitional..."
It was just then that I started to run

As she started then to state
That Its standard atomic weight
"...is six nine point seven two three and (one)..."
I couldn't stay trapped there inside
With my mum so filled with pride
As she sang of the joys of gallium!

So I didn't hear the rest
Knowing I would fail the test
On its electron configuration,
I cared not for its density
Or molar heat capacity
Or of its heat of vaporization!

However when tea time arrived
Thinking that I had survived
I sat down to fill my rumbling tum
And for the next hour or so
Whilst trapped there with no where to go
The conversation was on gallium!


Gaberdine


A worsted fabric overcoat
Not unlike a wizard's cloak
Was the medieval gaberdine

You'd find it hard to buy in store
A robe the same as Gandalf wore
It's something out of fashion now it seems...



I had a house the roof of which
Was pointy, angular and pitched
Making the wall beneath triangular

Which meant that I could say my wall
Was best described as a gable
And not one typically rectangular...
what is a gable? what is the definition of gable? an example of a gable, gable in a sentence, poems about gables


Gadzookery

I took a look inside a book
And felt a rather silly schnook
When in there were words I hardly knew,
Like “peradventure” and “prithee”
“Prenominate” and “verily”
Archaic words and far from being new!

It was indeed gadzookery
The overt use from history
Words that we would hardly say today,
Writing so forsoothly made
Me mourn my simple reading grade
And so I quickly put the book away!


Gaff

gaff is many things it seems
For when I looked up what it means
I was surprised by all the things it is
It is a spear for catching fish
Or turtles too if you so wish
But that's just one of this words many uses!

You see if you should ever find
Whilst fishing, a fish on your line
To haul it in you'd use a handled hook
Which is called a gaff as well
But that's not all for now I'll tell
You about how it can refer to chooks...

There is a kind of mean riff raff
Who attach a type of gaff
To the legs of roosters trained to fight
Turning it into a mean
Avian killing machine
So it can another rooster smite!

Then there is my friend Olaf
A butcher who uses a gaff
A hook on which he hangs fresh carcases!
And another friend of mine
Uses a gaff of sorts to climb
Up telephone poles to take a squiz!

And another thing I’ve learned
It is also a sailing term
The thing you call the spar that’s on a boat
On which a fore-and-aft sail
Is fixed upon to catch the gale
That helps to move this type of ship that floats!

I’ve also found it is written
Somewhere about old Britain
That a gaff can be a type of hall
Or a theatre that is cheap
And has nothing to do with meat
Or sailing ships or sharpened hooks at all!

And something that’s painful to bear
Like being chased by an angry bear
Is a gaff as well, a rough ordeal!
A gaff is also just a trick
A hoax, a fraud or a gimmick
Like if the grizzly was not in fact real!

And finally you’ll pay the price
Should you ever “gaff the dice”
Fixing them intently so to cheat
You’ll end up hung up on a hook
Or fighting with an angry chook
Either way you’ll end up being dead meat!


Gainsay

If you find I don’t agree
With something that you've said to me
I might gainsay the thing that you have said

That is I might well contradict
The thing that you’re trying to depict
And say the opposite is true instead!
what does gainsay mean? what is the meaning of gainsay? definition of gainsay, gainsay in a sentence, poems about the word gainsay

Glossolalia


Glossolalia’s a word
Describing that which can be heard
Inside a Pentecostal church sometimes

The phenomena when one
Begins to speak another tongue
Quite different to that of yours or mine.


God bye ye

Whilst reading old Will Shakespeare
There was a phrase I found in there
God bye ye,” was what the actor said..
I looked it up to find out what
It means and this is what I got,
“God be with you’s” meant when it is read.

“Goodbye” is what we say today
When a friend goes on their way
Which likely comes from this forgotten phrase
But whether it is said or inked
Most of us would never think
It a blessing as back in those days!

Guile

Listen now and I’ll
Teach you about guile
That is the cunning trait of artifice

Used so as to sneakily
Trick you through duplicity
And deviously artful craftiness






Words that begin with...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

No comments:

Post a Comment