Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

N Words

N



Naafi

Naafi is an acronym
Hailing from British origin
"Navy, Army, Airforce Institute"

Providing shops, that sort of thing
Pubs, clubs also canteens
For soldiers on base in need of new loot.


Nab

I didn't think That I'd get caught
For nabbing what I had not bought
For grabbing what I wanted suddenly

But them cops, those boys in blue,
They nabbed me quickly, well and true
Apprehending and arresting me!



Nabob might not be a thing
You ever find yourself using
But just in case here is an FYI
It was a Mogul governor
In the land of India
At least it was way back in former times

Also it’s something that you call
Someone rich and powerful
That is to say in an informal way
You might well come across a chap
Important, great and all of that
And behind his back you just might say:

“Well, I met a nabob who
Was obviously well to do
nabob who was rich and a Somebody,
Boy this nabob made me look
Just like a scruffy silly chook,
This nabob made me feel like a Nobody!”



Nestorine


A funny thing to me occurred
When I encountered a strange bird
Whilst traveling down in New Zealand's South,
Visiting a mountain range
I stopped for coffee, nothing strange,
And maybe for some food to fill my mouth...

And sitting there in that cafe
Up in the snow there came to play
Upon my car a group of nestorine
Parots big and green and keen
And curious as anything
With auto theft their preferential crime!

I'm serious my car incurred
Some damage from this sanguine bird
As they took to it with their sharpened beaks
Trying to take my car apart
As if it were a kind of art
Unique in execution and technique.

So out I went to say, "Enough!
Stop this wrecking of my stuff!"
They looked at me and quickly disobeyed,
Instead these confident Kea
Tried to steal my camera
And made off with at least one wiper blade!



Niels

Niels was a clever boy
Who won the games he did enjoy
Because his name of Danish origin

Gave to him the power to
Win at what he wanted to
On account of meaning "Champion."

Noblesse oblige

There is a certain grand ideal
That those of class behave genteel
Those with rank or great nobility,
For they bear the obligation
Of their status and their station
To behave themselves and act accordingly.

By virtue of their great prestige
They’re subject to Noblesse Oblige
The duty that they act responsibly,
Generous and honorable
Not barbarous but admirable
As fitting to one of nobility.






Words that begin with...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Can't find a word? Send a word request to:
thevocabuverse@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment