Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

O Words

O



Oaf

An oaf is what you'd call someone
Who's rough, clumsy, stupid or dumb,
Someone who is really quite a twit!
They're someone you might also call
A clown or a Neanderthal,
A silly nong, a blockhead or halfwit!

Sometimes you might like to shout
To an oaf, "You stupid lout!"
Which is a name that also fits the goon,
Along with knucklehead I'm sure
Or cretin, fool, bumpkin and boor
Otherwise you might say, "You baboon!"


Oakum


Oakum
 is an implement
Made of jute and sometimes hemp
Used for sealing pipes and things that float

It will keep a pipe from leaking
Or a wooden ship from sinking
Handy to know when plumbing on a boat!


Oast

Now I will attempt to try
To tell you what you’d use to dry
Hops or malt before you brew your beer

An Oast appears to fit the bill
Being a kiln that I hear will
Dry out those sorts of things while inside there

And the house that’s built around
The Oast or kiln I also found
Is called an Oast as well it would appear.


Ob- (Prefix)

To give a word the quality
Of "inverse" then inject
OB at the beginning as
In the phrase "I object!"


Octopine


You might well take me for a wuss
When I say there's an octopus
Of sorts that lives somewhere under my bed

An octopine creature that tries
To capture anything that lies
Therein so I sleep somewhere else instead!



OMNI- (Prefix)

Perhaps I wanted to convey
The idea of all
Like if I had the will to say
"I am all powerful"
Which of course is not quite true
But just to illustrate
My point then bear with me a bit
And let me simply state
That if I was all powerful
Another way to say it
Is to use the word OMNI
To easily portray it
As in the word OMNIPOTENT
Meaning all powerful
I know this much because I know
That OMNI conveys ALL!
And if I was all knowing,
Which of course I'm not,
OMNISCIENCE would be the word
That meant I knew a lot,
And if I was ubiquitous
Or everywhere then I
Would be OMNIPRESENT
And quite a super guy!






Words that begin with...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

No comments:

Post a Comment