Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

T Words

T


Ta

If you give something to me
And I take it happily
There is a certain thing that I should do

So as not to seem too rude,
I wish to show my gratitude,
So "Ta" I say, a way of saying "Thank you."

Tabard

In the medieval days
The knights back then liked to display
Their coat of arms when they were fully dressed,

So they had a tunic stitched
To fit over their armour which
Identified them while they looked their best.

Tabernacle


The Tabernacle was a tent
Purposefully made and meant
Specifically to be a sanctuary,
Or a kind of portable
Temple, but demountable,
For the Israelites when stationary.

For in the days when it was used
The people then called The Hebrews
Wandered through the wilderness a bit,
But when they stopped up went the tent,
As said in the Old Testament,
While the cloud of God hovered above it!

A Tabernacle though these days
Is a box found on display
In a church which does contain within
Wine, the kind said to be red,
And the kind of crispy bread
That is used for the Holy Communion

That is though the tradition
Of the Catholic position
Which is unlike some other Christian types
To whom a tabernacle is
What a place of worship is
A church building or chapel if you like.



Tach- / Tacheo- / Tachy- (Prefixes)

Acceleration is in fact
An idea that can be
Infused into a word with TACH,
TACHEO or TACHY.




Talpine


There is tiny hill outside
A mound of earth beside a wide
Opening or otherwise a hole,

Not a mountain but the kind
Of hill and hole from a talpine
Creature or in other words a mole


Taurine

Whenever I'm passing through
A paddock I am careful to
Make sure that what I'm wearing isn't red,

For there might be a taurine
Bull or ox that is inclined
To chase me down to trample on my head!


Terat- / Terato- (Prefixes)

In the case of abnormality
TERAT or TERATO
Will fit quite nicely at the start
Where prefixes oft go.


Termitine

Oh dear the house I once called mine
Has been consumed by termitine
Creatures leaving only wooden chips!

So next time I'll avoid the likes
Of those wee nasty termites
By building me a house made out of bricks!


Thrasonical

I found it rather comical
My friend was being thrasonical
About the features of his brand new phone,
About the gadget he did boast
And brag as if it was the most
Exciting thing that anyone could own...

And whilst on this thrasonic high
He claimed that it could even fly
And threw it high as high as he could throw,
Needless to say that he was wrong
His smart phone wasn't smart for long
And left my friend sobbing a loud, "Oh no!"


Tintinnabulation

I decided for the fun of it
To play with bells outside a bit
Jingling to my neighbors consternation

After a wee while I found
They did not like the tinkling sound
Crying "Stop that Tintinnabulation!"

Traduce

If I aim to put to shame
Or make another suffer blame
By laying upon him statements that aren't true

To tarnish so is to traduce
And is a cruel unfair abuse
And overall not all that nice do.


Transitive Verbs

Hopefully by now you’ve heard
That a verb’s a doing word
But what of verbs said to be transitive?
Well they are the sort of verbs
That make sense only when heard
Along with the thing that they’re doing it with

For example if I were
To write the sentence, “I love her”
“Love” here is the kind of verb I mean
The sort of verb that needs the word
“Her” to make sense when it’s heard
Otherwise “I love” would just mean nothing!

Travail


If you ever hear me wail
About my hard day of travail
The thing that I’m bemoaning is hard work

For it’s my assertion
That physical exertion
Is a torment I would rather shirk!


Trebuchet

At home I keep a trebuchet
For those times when I might get
Salesmen selling in my doorway.
I say, "Hello, please sit right here!"
And hurl them to goodness knows where
With my machine built for throwing away.

Hailing from the days when kings
And queens used them for throwing things
At cities under siege in days of war,
Like a catapult to throw
Rocks and other missiles though
Salesmen were not what they were for!


Turdine

My date and I went out to dine,
Her dress made her appear turdine,
I told her so and she left in a rush!

What did she think I meant instead?
It was a lovely thing I said,
For I meant she was as pretty as a thrush!




All work on this site is the intellectual property of Kerin Gedge and is not to be used or reproduced without the author's permission.



Words that begin with...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

No comments:

Post a Comment