Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

R Words

R

Rabbet

Sometimes you just might find
a piece of wood that is designed
to fit together with another bit

A type of groove that has the point
of fitting with a matching joint
such a groovy thing is a rabbet!

Rabelaisian


One who’s robust or bawdy
Whose jokes are rude and are naughty
Is a Rabelaisian at best

After Francois Rabelais
A Frenchman from the olden days
A 16th century wayward satirist.





Rachel is a pretty name
Even though it means the same
As a lady sheep or else "a ewe",

An ancient name from days of old
When ewes were used as well as gold
And comes to us from tongues that spoke Hebrew!



One day I found a magic urn
And used it so to pot a fern
Not knowing I was in for quite a show
For after my small fern had drank
It demonstrated shocking rank
By growing great and vigorously so!

Not only did it grow a lot
But now my plant had also got
Itself a mouth and one quite spiteful eye
And when it spoke its ghastly words
Were rank, offensive to be heard
And course enough to make a grown man cry!

And as it grew out from the urn
The evil fern began to spurn
The little space inside my living room
“This room is rank, it’s obsolete!
I’m moving now into the street!”
He gargled raucously with a loud boom.

Ten feet tall built like a tank
He bashed about the street with rank
Thrashfulness and animosity
Shockingly conspicuous
Prominent and obvious
Catching passersby to eat for tea!

Picking up my phone quickly
I called the police and army
I told them outrightly, I told them rank
“There is a killer plant about
With a cucumber for a snout!”
But they thought my call was just a prank!

All the while it grew and grew
Doing what monster plants do
Heading fast and steady for the bank
For instinctively he knew
The money there was nice to chew
And so he craved for it with lusty rank!

But before he made it there
The whole city was doomed to hear
The sound of this Plantzilla breaking wind
And oh the smell putrid and rank
Was so bad it really stank
Causing more harm than a strong whirlwind!

And for miles and miles around
Anyone who smelt that sound
Quickly found their kitchens filled with rank
Food that had quickly rotted
Putrid, festered with spotted
Mould on it, inedible and dank!

Then as one the whole city
Realized with rank degree
That the stakes involved now were so high
That if soon nothing was done
To halt the wicked flora’s fun
It was likely that everyone would die!

So in ranks the people went
In rows they walked without relent
Through every garden shop there was to find
And like soldiers ranged in ranks
Side by side they swiped and yanked
Weed killers of every type and kind!

The strategy quickly became
Not unlike an old chess game
The city moved in ranks against the file
Every piece determined to
Squirt the giant plant pot who
Kept on passing gas vulgar and vile!

He roared out load for all to hear
“Humanity has much to fear,
Don’t you see I outrank all of you?
I am much bigger than you are
And more intelligent by far
Against the king of plants what can you do?”

Then a man from in the bank
Whose name was Mister something Frank
Who was a rich and wealthy kind of bloke
Who in actuality
Bore the rank of royalty
Cleared his throat and then he loudly spoke:

“Now see here you naughty plant
You think you can but you can’t
Take over this city and then swank
It’s time for you to stop and learn
You’re nothing more than just a fern
Without status, position or rank!”

Then he said, “To be quite frank
I hardly think your brain would rank
Much higher than a snails I.Q. would.
In fact you are indeed insane
To even think you have a brain
In the end you’re nothing more than wood!”

And to the cities stark surprise
The giant fern was paralyzed
By the Man who stank of noble rank
And as the plant was being told off
His leaves began to then fall off
While he sobbed and obviously shrank

Becoming just a normal fern
Planted in a magic urn
Which became the start of inquiries...
But when the cops knocked on my door
I said I’d not seen it before
And told them it did not belong to me!




Rapine

It wouldn't be much of a treat
To find yourself upon a street
That has become the victim of rapine,

For it would mean your town or village
Is being plundered, sacked or pillaged
And not having the best but worst of times!


Ralline

I went once to the library
So I could read a book for free
And stood behind a girl who was ralline,

Chicken-shaped with a small tail
And large feet too, just like a Rail
As I waited in the check out line.


Re- (Prefix)

If your mission's to infuse
The concept of "Again"
RE's the word then you would use
As in "reanimated men".

Or if you wish to put in place
The idea of back
RE can be put into place
As in the word "retract".


Recusant 

When I was a younger lad
Whenever my mum or dad
Said, "Don't help yourself to a cookie!"

I was quite recusant then
And so I helped myself to them,
Resisting my parents authority!


Remonstrate/Expostulate

Allow us now to contemplate
The meaning of expostulate
Or in other words to remonstrate
To be in open opposition
Or to argue your position
Against a course of action you might hate!

For example if I state
That we should not shut the gate
You might well feel the need to set me straight
And remind my loudly that
Our little dog is not a cat
And might escape to meet a gruesome fate!


Rouse

Putting up my tired feet
I fell into much needed sleep
And dreamed of green meadows and flying cows
Of course it seemed natural to me
And not an abnormality
Till ice-cream started falling from the clouds!

So excited then was I
Roused by ice-cream from the sky
That alas from sleep I was aroused!
For so roused was I to hunger
To the kitchen I did blunder
To appease my hungry tummy rumbling loud!

And when I found the yummy treat
That I was so aroused to eat
I leaped into a different sort of rouse
I threw for myself a hearty
Fine celebratory party
And drank a toast to dreams of flying cows!


Rudiment

Take a basic principle
Or skill that’s fundamental
And you have right there a rudiment
Most often a plural word
In statements that you've likely heard
Like in “the rudiments of government”

And if you have a thing unformed
An idea only partially born
Rudiment in this case here envelopes
The elements you have at hand
Before you have a final plan
The rudiments of something undeveloped

Then there is a body part
Intended for a certain task
Diminished so in size it can’t perform
Which also is a rudiment
An element that's redundant
On account of it’s being so malformed

And finally there’s one more sort
Of rudiment I can purport
Which is the organ just starting to sprout
Like a baby still unborn
With organs just starting to form
And therefore not ready to come out!





I found just now a piece of meat
That is in fact no good to eat
It is so old that it has become rotten
Decomposing typically
Corrupting anaerobically
Giving off a smell that's best forgotten.

And alas I'm sad to say
That I am myself this day
Feeling rather rotten and quite bad
Feeling less than comfortable
By the irrevocable
Consequences that have made me mad!

I'd come across a rotten chap
Who was corrupt and more than that
He cut into the queue ahead of me
At my favourite bakery
Where every day I get coffee
Despite its rotten lousy quality.

And by pushing in front of me
He bought himself for morning tea
The last doughnut they had upon their shelf
The same doughnut that I had sought
The very one I would have bought
The same doughnut I wanted for myself!

What a rotten thing to do
Extremely mean I must tell you
So rottenly self-centered and unkind
It almost seems beyond belief
That such a spoiled rotten thief
Could help himself to what should have been mine!

So here I am out on the street
Next to this green and rotten meat
Hatching a rather rotten evil plan
Although what I'm about to do
Will prove that I am rotten too
For I think I'm going to hide it in his van.





Words that begin with...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

No comments:

Post a Comment